Root canal — the words probably send a shudder down your spine. But the term actually refers to the space between your tooth’s root and the pulp inside the tooth, and when it becomes severely infected or injured, root canal therapy may be necessary. It’s got a bad reputation in dentistry, but anyone who’s ever had a severely aching tooth repaired with root canal therapy will tell you that the procedure itself is nothing compared to the pain they felt before. Keep reading to learn more about how you can tell if you’ve got a problematic root canal in Glendale AZ.
All About the Root Canal and Its Therapy in Glendale AZ
Not all tooth pain signals a problem with the root canal. Here are some signs that root canal therapy may be necessary to repair your tooth:
- Severe tooth pain when eating or upon pressure
- Sensitivity to hot and cold (which remains after it’s been removed)
- Darkening of the tooth
- A bump (resembling a pimple) on the gum near the tooth
- Tenderness or swelling in the gum near infected tooth
If you or a loved one are experiencing any of these symptoms, chances are good that you need root canal therapy in Glendale. Schedule your appointment with Arrowhead Foothills Dentistry quickly to reduce pain.
Root canal therapy is a multi-step treatment that removes the infected tooth pulp and its nerve. It may come as a surprise, but these components aren’t actually necessary for the normal function of your tooth. That means performing a root canal allows Dr. Steele or Dr. Halliday to preserve your natural tooth while taking away the part that’s causing you severe pain.
To complete the root canal therapy, your Glendale dentist will take the following steps.
- Damage will be assessed with x-rays to understand the extent of the damage
- A local anaesthetic will be administered to make your experience comfortable
- Dr. Steele opens the tooth to fully remove the infected pulp and nerve
- The opening is sealed with a filling (this may be carried over to another appointment if decay is very serious)
Once your root canal therapy is complete, you can breathe a sigh of relief knowing you’re able to enjoy your pain free, healthy smile once again!
Need Root Canal Therapy in Glendale? Call Us Today
If you’ve got a severely decayed or damaged tooth, trust the family dentist in Glendale, AZ to perform exceptional root canal therapy and help you smile beautifully once again. Our whole team is prepared to serve our neighbors in Glendale and the surrounding communities of Peoria, Sun City West, Surprise, Scottsdale and beyond. Click here to book your appointment online today!